Who we are:
RedLux (www.redlux.net) are a world-leading SME who design and manufacture state-of-the-art coordinate measuring machines for use in such fields as medical devices, optics, automotive and aerospace. We are looking for an experienced R&D Metrology Scientist seeking their next challenge.
The R&D Metrology Scientist should have a strong background in mathematics, physics or engineering research and development, have scientific experience in metrology using electro-mechanical or optical systems and will have previously worked on integrated hardware/software solutions, ideally in the automation and robotics, or metrology industries.
To work within a team of engineers to research, implement and test metrology solutions.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties
- Design, implement and test precision electro-mechanical systems.
- Develop methods for setup and calibration of our systems.
- Support the software team on metrology and electro-mechanical engineering questions.
- Document above tasks, ready for handover to production.
- Contribute to the full life-cycle of system development (from requirements gathering through to post-product development).
Primary Location of Post
- At the company address in Romsey (near Southampton).
- Occasional travel might be required. Destinations are likely to be, but not limited to, UK, Europe, USA.
(E)= Essential (HD) = Highly Desirable (D) = Desirable
- Strong academic background in engineering, physics or related discipline (E).
- Proven experience in research (PhD preferred) (HD).
- Experience as a metrology engineer in an industrial context (HD).
- Good working knowledge of GD&T (HD).
- Familiarity with 3D geometric data and data processing (HD).
- Knowledge of programming, preferably in C# (HD).
- Familiarity with 3D CAD modelling (D).
- Familiarity with Machinery Directive and machine safety (D).
- Fluent written and spoken English (E).
Key Business Attributes
- Maintain confidentiality with respect to customer information and our own IPR (E).
- Attention to fine detail and quality at all times (E).
- Ability to manage and plan work to meet deadlines and respond to changing priorities (E).
- Ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with suppliers, customers and colleagues (HD).
- Highly self-motivated individual capable of working with minimum supervision, individually and as part of a team, in a dynamic environment (E).
- Able to work to tight timescales and sometimes under pressure (E).
- A flexible approach to work; able to work occasional overtime at short notice (E).